Facebook Twitter More...

One year ago today Jerika Binks went running. Other than some security video and trail-cam photos from that day, she has not been seen since. Leads, interviews, warrants - still unanswered questions

*** PRESS RELEASE FEBRUARY 18, 2019 *** On February 18, 2018, at about 9:00 AM, Jerika Ann Binks, then age 24, left the sober house where she was living to go running. Today, February 19, 2019, one year later, family and friends are still waiting to hear from her. The sober house where Jerika was living is in an unincorporated part of Utah County near American Fork, on North County Boulevard, just north of 300 North. Jerika had a history of drug problems, but she had responded well to treatment, was staying clean, and was fully committed to recovery. She had a close network of friends and family who supported her in her recovery and she was making solid progress.

After leaving to go running Jerika did not return to the sober house. After roommates, other friends, and family checked everything they could think of, Jerika’s mother called American Fork Police on February 19, 2018 to report Jerika missing. American Fork Police initially took the report until they realized the sober house where Jerika was living is not in their city.

Detectives with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office obtained surveillance video from the Utah State Developmental Center in American Fork and from Walmart in Cedar Hills, both located on North County Boulevard, which showed Jerika running north on that street. The time frame of those videos is consistent with the time she left the sober house and last spoke to her roommates.

On March 28, 2018, Detectives learned that a trail camera that was in place on the trail at Timpanogos Cave National Monument, in American Fork Canyon, had records of photographs of Jerika walking down this trail on the same day she went missing. Timpanogos Cave National Monument officials placed this camera to conduct wildlife surveys on the trail. When this camera senses motion it is programmed to take 4 photographs, which it did on February 28, 2018. Extensive searches of the Timpanogos Cave area have been conducted by Search and Rescue teams, drones, helicopters, and airplanes. Other areas in American Fork Canyon, including the area of Tibble Fork Reservoir, have also been searched without positive results.

Detective’s efforts in this case have included talking to neighbors and businesses near where Jerika lived and along the route where she went running. Numerous tips have come in to Detectives and they have followed up on each of them. Some have even come from outside of Utah. These tips included possible sightings and information from psychics. Detectives have followed up on every tip they have received. They have interviewed family members, friends, associates, tipsters – some of them more than once – anyone who thinks they have helpful information. All of these tips have been found to be unsubstantiated or the information was not at all credible.

This case remains active as Detectives continue to follow up on leads they receive. Anyone with any information regarding this case is asked to contact Detective Pratt at (801)851-4013, or Central Utah 911 at (801)794-3970. For other questions contact Sergeant Spencer Cannon, Public Information Officer, Utah County Sheriff’s Office. (801)404-1912 or Twitter: @SGTCannonPIO or @UCSO. The video and trail photos available today were previously released by family but those were not copies of the originals. Media may contact Sergeant Spencer Cannon to obtain direct copies of the originals.