The Official Website of Utah County Government

Utah County Children's Justice Center

Family Justice Center

Rebecca Martell, Director

Utah County Children's Justice Center
Family Justice Center

Utah County Children's Justice Center - Family Justice Center LogoOur Mission
Enable victims of crime (domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault, etc.) to seek safety, healing and self-sufficiency by improving timely access to essential community services, providing crisis intervention and support, educating victims about choices, and facilitating necessary legal intervention.

What We Provide

FREE one-stop clinic providing legal advice on family and tenant law ONLY. 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month we have Immigrant Legal Services available.

Weekly community services available include victim advocate, Division of Child and Family Services, Housing, and assistance with medical insurance.

First Tuesdays also include Adult Protective Services, Utah Valley University's Turning Point program, and Wells Fargo financial education and community outreach program.

When :

Tuesday Evenings

Clients accepted from 5 - 8 pm

Where :

Utah County Health and Justice Building

151 South University Avenue, Suite 1601

Provo, Utah 84601


Q: When is the best time to come?

A: There isn't a BEST time. There is no way to know how many people will be attending the clinic each evening. Some clients come at 4 p.m. and line up in the hallway. Some come throughout the evening. Unless we have too many clients for available attorneys to help in the evening, we will accept clients up until 8 p.m. each evening.

Q: How long is the wait?

A: The wait time varies. Our clinic operates on a first-come-first-serve basis. Because our attorneys spend as much time as needed with each client to ensure their questions are answered, it is difficult to estimate the wait time. We have magazines and a movie playing to help ease the wait time; however, I would plan on bringing something to work on or read while you wait.

Q: Is there childcare available?

A: There is NO childcare. We have some toys, light snacks, coloring, and a child-friendly movie playing to help parents or caregivers with children. If you have the option of utilizing an outside childcare provider or Family Support and Treatment Center's Crisis Respite Nursery (801)229-1181, we encourage you to do so. The topics discussed at our clinic are largely inappropriate for children.

Q: Are there income guidelines for legal help?

A: Yes. Currently, the attorneys for family legal and tenant law are only able to help those individuals who are in the category of 200% of the poverty guideline or below. There is no income guideline for any of the community services or immigration help.

Q: Can any of the attorneys represent me?

A: No. Our clinic is focused on providing non-bias legal advice ONLY. Low-cost attorney referrals are available, should clients need to retain an attorney. For more information, you can refer to the Timpanogos Legal Services website.

Q: Can I print my documents at the clinic?

A: No. Unfortunately, due to our non-profit status, we are unable to print large amounts of documents for clients at this time.

Q: Can I apply for food stamps, financial assistance, etc. at the clinic?

A: Yes. A laptop and volunteers are available to help navigate through The Division of Workforce Service's initial online application process. We do not have information about eligibility and are unable to troubleshoot any issues with your case. Please contact Division of Workforce Services for any questions or concerns.

Q: Are you open any other time?

A: No. We are only able to staff volunteers for one evening each week, on Tuesdays.

Q: Do I need to bring any documents?

A: Yes. All legal documents pertaining to the case you are coming to discuss are very helpful to bring and will ensure you get the best legal advice available. Income verification is NOT required.

Q: Do I have to be a victim of a crime to get services?

A: No. We provide all assistance to any individual seeking help.

Q: I went to the Family Justice Center and didn't feel like I got the help I needed. What do I do now?

A: If you had an issue with the legal advice offered, you may ask for a different attorney to speak with or discuss your complaint directly with Susan Griffiths, who is the lead attorney. If you have a non-legal complaint, you may contact Maria Blanchard, marian@utahcounty.gov or 801-851-8508 or Amberly Bateman, amberlyb@utahcounty.gov or 801-851-8549.