Utah County Attorney

Utah County Historic Courthouse
Frequently Asked Questions


How do I request copies of government-held documents, such as my criminal history and the charges against me?


You must make an information request under the Utah Government Records Access and Management Act (GRAMA). See the tab on our main page  Requesting Records and Reports.


I want to report a crime--who should I contact?


You should contact your local police department. See the tab on our main page   Report a Crime.


Who do I contact with questions about divorce or custody issues?


You must contact a private attorney to address divorce and custody questions. The Utah Bar Associations can provide you with referrals to local attorneys.  Utah State Bar Association


Where do I find out about employment opportunities with the County Attorney's Office?


See the tab on our main page  Employment Opportunities.


I'm a crime victim. How do I get my property back?


To get property back, you must contact the agency in possession, usually police. 


I'm a crime victim. Where can I find resources related to restitution, testifying, and other rights I have?


Go to the "Victim Services" link on the county attorney homepage.   Victim Services


Where can I find information and forms related to protective orders?


See the "Victim Services" link on the county attorney homepage.   Victim Services


Where can I find other court forms?


The Utah State Courts web page has a comprehensive collection of forms.   Utah State Court forms


Where is the courthouse?


It depends on which court you are scheduled to appear or desire to visit. Look at the "Courthouse Maps" section of the county attorney's website for address information and directions.   Court maps


How do I get a plea bargain?


There is no right to a plea bargain. County prosecutors offer plea bargains in their discretion, based on the circumstances of each case, such as the nature of the offense(s) and criminal history of the defendant, as a means of expediting the justice process. You must work through your attorney unless you represent yourself AND your case is in the County Justice Court. 


What does the Utah County Attorney's Office do?


See the tab on our main page   What We Do.


How are the courts structured?


The Utah State Courts page has a detailed explanation of each part of the  court system.


What does the criminal justice process entail?


The GENERAL procedure is as follows: Police officers start the criminal justice process by investigating crime. After collecting evidence, they can issue a citation to (only for misdemeanors) or arrest those they have good reason to believe are responsible for the crime.  


The officer then files reports detailing the investigation with the County Attorney's Office. The County Attorney's Office then either files charges with the appropriate court, requests more information before filing charges, or declines to file any charges.  


After charges are filed the defendant in a felony case has a first appearance where the court informs the defendant of the charges.  


In a misdemeanor case the defendant has an arraignment where the court asks for a guilty or not guilty plea. In a felony case the next major hearing is a preliminary hearing, where the court determines if the prosecution has sufficient evidence to proceed to trial. In a misdemeanor case the next hearing is a pre-trial conference and, if no agreement is reached by the defendant and prosecution, then a trial is held. In a felony case, if at the preliminary hearing the judge "binds over" the case for trial, the case is set for an arraignment where the defendant enters a guilt or not guilty plea. After the arraignment is a pre-trial conference. If the defendant and prosecution do not reach an agreement at the pre-trial conference the case is then set for a trial.  


For both misdemeanors and felonies, if at trial the judge or jury finds the defendant is guilty of a crime, the next hearing is sentencing where the defendant can be fined, placed in jail or prison, put on probation, ordered to pay restitution, etc. If the verdict is from a justice court, the defendant has an automatic right of appeal to try the case anew in district court. If the verdict is from a district court, the defendant also has a right to appeal to the Utah Court of Appeals or the Utah Supreme Court, depending on the crime.  


Can I file or drop charges against someone?


No private party, even a victim, can file or dismiss criminal charges. The County Attorney's Office is the sole agency responsible for filing and pursuing criminal charges. While the County Attorney's Office certainly considers the input of victims, it alone retains discretion to pursue or not pursue charges.  


How can I get my record expunged?


Expungments are handled through the Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the courts. For an explanation of the process as well as the necessary forms, go to the Utah Courts website.  Expunging a record


I'm a defendant and my attorney will not speak with me-what can I do?


If you are dissatisfied with an attorney you have privately retained, you may normally just hire another. However, both your new and former attorneys must have the court's permission to enter or withdraw from the case. If your attorney is a public defender appointed by the court, you should bring your concerns to the lead public defender, Mr. Tom Means, at 801-852-1070. 


Who do I contact regarding any personal or private questions?


A private attorney should be contacted with any personal / private questions. Utah Legal Services can be contacted at: 1-800-662-4245 or visit www.andjusticeforall.org/uls/index.html for more information. 


What services does the County Attorney provide to someone to whom child support is owed or to someone who is entitled to a reimbursement of child support?


Pursuant to Utah Code Section 78B-12-114, the County Attorney’s Office will provide very limited assistance to a child support “obligee” as defined in Section 78B-12-102. Our assistance includes only the following:

  1. Provide forms for an order of wage assignment if the obligee is not represented by legal counsel.
  2. Inform the obligee of the right to file impecuniously if the obligee is unable to bear the expenses of the action and assist the obligee with such filing.
  3. Advise the obligee of the available methods for service of process.
  4. Assist the obligee in expeditiously scheduling a hearing before the court.


Below are links to the forms and information that may be needed by a child support obligee. If the below forms and information are insufficient to assist an obligee, the obligee should contact a private attorney.
Unfortunately, the County Attorney’s Office does not have the resources to provide legal representation to a child support obligee.

  • Forms for order of wage assignment

  • Forms for fee waiver

  • Filing procedures

  • Serving Papers

  • Instructions on requesting a hearing

  • Hearing Request Form