The Official Website of Utah County Government


Utah County Clerk/Auditor

Bryan E. Thompson

Utah County Auditor


Location & Hours


Applicants must appear together at the same time at the Utah County Clerk's Office.

Utah County Administration Building

100 East Center, Suite 3600

Provo, UT 84606

Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. (The office is not open on Saturday, Sunday or holidays)




The fee is $40.00 payable by cash, credit (Visa or Mastercard only) or debit cards. It includes one certified copy of the marriage license, which will be mailed after the marriage is solemnized.

Additional certified copies are available for $5.00 for each copy.

Requirements and Application


A marriage license may be issued by the County Clerk after the applicants provide the following required information:

  • Full legal names are required
  • Social security numbers, unless the applicant has not been assigned a number
  • The Social Security numbers obtained under the authority of this section will not be recorded on the marriage license and are not open to inspection as a part of the vital statistics files. The Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Records, and Health Statistics shall, upon request, supply those Social Security numbers to the Office of Recovery Services within the Department of Human Services. The Office of Recovery Services may not use any Social Security numbers obtained under the authority of this section for any reason other than the administration of child support services.
  • Current addresses
  • Date and place of birth (town or city, county, state or country, if possible)
  • Names of respective parents, including the maiden name of the mother
  • Birthplaces of fathers and mothers (state or country)
  • One form of ID such as a valid driver's license, passport or original birth certificate. If a birth certificate is used, a photo ID is also required
  • Divorce decree signed by the Judge if your divorce was final in the last 60 days
  • Applicants must be 18 years of age and have legal proof of age: Valid drivers license, birth certificate, or passport

 This document is in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format. NOTE - EACH APPLICANT MUST FILL OUT A FORM


Marriage License Issuance Policy & Guidelines



Marriage of Minors


Applicants under the age of 18 years of age are required to have :

Local Officials available to solemnize marriages

Please contact the local officials in advance, via phone, to set an appointment.

4th District Court Judges

Judge James Brady
(801) 429-1014
Judge Lynn W. Davis (Speaks Spanish)
(801) 429-1069
(801) 429-1043
Judge Anthony Howell
(801) 429-1061
Judge Darold McDade
(801) 429-1058
Judge Derek Pullan
(801) 429-1050

Springville Justice Court Judge

Judge Sherlynn W. Fenstermaker
(801) 489-2707

American Fork Juvenile Court Judge

Judge Suchada Bazzelle
(801) 763-8941

The judges listed above will perform marriages during normal court hours if it does not conflict with their court calendar, with the exception of Judge Davis who is available after hours and on weekends.


Miscellaneous Information & Resources


Utah Marriage Handbook This document is in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format.

This free handbook provides valuable information and resources for those contemplating marriage as well as those already married.


How long are licenses good for & where does the record reside

  • Licenses are valid for 30 days from date of issue and may be used anywhere within the State of Utah.
  • The license remains the property of Utah County and must be returned to the County Clerk after the marriage is solemnized or not solemnized.
  • The person performing the ceremony will be responsible to complete the Marriage Certificate and the Marriage License.

Criteria to Perform Marriage Ceremonies This document is in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format.

After the ceremony you will receive the Marriage Certificate. The person performing the marriage is responsible for returning the Marriage License to the Clerk/Auditor's office within two weeks of the marriage. After the Marriage License is returned to the office, a certified copy will be mailed to you in the envelope you address in our office. The certified copy of your Marriage License is your official proof of marriage.

The Social Security office and the Drivers License Division will want to see the certified copy of the Marriage License for any last name changes. The Social Security office and the Drivers License Division are the two main places but you may need to go to banks, insurance companies, passport office, etc... Most people will just need to see the certified copy, but they generally do not need to keep the copy.

If you do need a certified copy in the future, we will always file the original Marriage License in our office. Certified copies are $5.00 for each copy.


Name Change Guidelines

  • The first and most important step is to obtain a certified copy of your Marriage license from the county office where your marriage license was issued. One certified copy of your Utah County Marriage License is included in your marriage license fee. Additional certified copies are available for $5.00 for each copy. Once you receive the official copy, you can take it to the following offices for change of name and address..
  • The Social Security Office
    J. Will Robinson FOB
    88 West 100 North
    Provo, UT 84601
    For more information visit the website at http://www.socialsecurity.gov
  • Driver License Division - Provo Express Station
    Renewal, Duplicates and Original ID's Only
    1503 South 40 East
    Campus Credit Union Bldg - 2nd floor - Ste 250
    Provo, UT 84606
  • If you currently do not have a Utah Driver License or you have an out of state Driver License, you will need to go to :

  • Driver License Orem Office
    759 N. 1370 W.
    For more information visit the website at : http://www.driverlicense.utah.gov
  • Your bank or financial institution, insurance company, Post Office and employer.
  • You can get a new voter's registration form from the County Clerk's Office, the Utah State Elections web site or the Drivers License Office. Complete your name and address and return to the County Clerks Office.
  • Update your passport information. This will require you to send your certified copy of your marriage license and an application for a US passport by mail form available in the Clerk's Office or at the U.S. Department of State website.



The Marriage License Division of Utah County Government tries to ensure that the information made available on the County's website is accurate and complete. Due to factors beyond the control of the County, however, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modification of information or errors and omissions made in inputting and posting data. The County may make changes to a web page at any time to update, add or correct the information made available. If you have any questions regarding what information is acceptable or required in order to complete a Marriage Application, contact the Marriage License division at 801-851-8226 or 801-851-8108.