The Official Website of Utah County Government

Community Development Frequently Asked Questions



Building Inspections



When are you open?

We are open Monday through Friday from 8.00am to 5.00pm 

What is your jurisdiction?

All areas within the borders of Utah County that are not within the limits of an incorporated city or town. 

When does the Utah County Planning Commission hold their scheduled agenda meeting?

The third (3rd) Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in Room 1400, County Administration Building, 100 East Center Street, Provo, Utah. 

When does the Utah County Board of Adjustment hold their scheduled agenda meeting?

The first (1st) Thursday of each month at 5:15 p.m. in Room 1400, County Administration Building, 100 East Center Street, Provo, Utah.  

How do I find the most up to date Utah County Land Use Ordinance?

The Utah County Land Use Ordinance is located in the links section of the Community Development website.  Utah County Land Use Ordinance

When do I need to get a building permit?

All structures and construction require a permit to be issued; some may not require a fee, but a permit is required.  

Where are your offices located?

51 S University Ave., Suite 117, Provo, UT 84601 



Do I need a permit?

  Utah County Government including Utah State Law, requires building permits for all buildings, structures, and construction related activities. 

How much does a permit cost?

  Refer to the Permit Fee Schedule.  Permit Fee Schedule

How long does it take to get a permit?

  Usually allow 10 - 15 working days. 

What are the required setbacks?

  Most areas within the county have a 30 foot front setback and a 15 foot Side and Rear setback from property line to the building/structure. Contact Planning and Zoning for specifics. 

Is engineering required?

  Engineering is required for all buildings except those that meet the conventional light frame provisions of the IBC. Contact our department or your designer for more information. 

What is the design criterion for Utah County?

  Refer to the Design Criteria table. 

Does Utah County issue building permits for projects within city limits.

  No, Utah County's jurisdiction only covers areas outside of city boundaries. 

What is the snow load in Utah County.

  The snow load varies within the County. Most areas on the valley floor have a 30 PSF roof snow load. For areas within the canyon or mountainous areas, contact our office with a location and an elevation of the property. 

What has to be completed for me to get a final inspection and gain approval to move into my home.

  All safety aspects of the home need to be completed along with the basic living facilities. (Completed electrical, handrails, exits to grade, smoke detectors, kitchens, bathrooms, etc.) 

What are the required inspections for my project?

  Refer to required inspection link.  

What is the difference between a free agricultural permit and a regular building permit?

  Free agricultural permits are for structures used solely for agricultural purposes like hay barns, cattle shelters, horse barns, tractor sheds, etc, that are located on land used for agricultural purposes. These structures cannot be used for personal belongings like lawn mowers, boats, RV's, personal vehicles, shops, etc.